Clarion Housing Group has today launched the inaugural William Sutton Prize, with a prize fund of up to £20,000 on offer for individuals or organisations presenting a new concept, service or idea that can make a positive social impact on a community.
- The William Sutton Prize for Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation will be awarded to an individual or organisation that has developed an innovative concept, service or product to make a positive social impact on a community.
- The William Sutton Prize for Excellence in Social Housing Design and Placemaking will be awarded to an individual or organisation that has developed a ground breaking design concept for the benefit of social housing residents, or a mixed tenure community.
Clarion Housing Group traces its history back to William Sutton, a 19th century entrepreneur who founded the UK’s first door to door parcel delivery service and bequeathed his fortune to providing much needed housing for the poor. The two distinct prizes reflect William Sutton’s legacy, as an entrepreneur and a philanthropist determined to improve the quality of social housing.
There is a prize fund of up to £20,000 on offer for both categories, with the funding provided by Clarion Futures, the charitable foundation of Clarion Housing Group. The winning entries will be determined by a five person panel:
- Greg Reed, Clarion Housing Group Board member and CEO of HomeServe Group
- Clare Miller, Group Director of Governance and Compliance, Clarion Housing Group
- Peter Fortune, Clarion Housing Group Board and Deputy Leader of the London Borough of Bromley
- Biljana Savic, Director of The Academy of Urbanism
- Peter Holbrook CBE, CEO of Social Enterprise UK
Clare Miller, Director of Group Director of Governance and Compliance commented:
"Clarion Housing is the largest housing association in the country, but we wouldn’t be here at all without William’s Sutton’s entrepreneurial spirit and his passion for social housing. We are launching the William Sutton Prize to champion the power of innovation for social good and looking forward to seeing a wide range of ideas, from inspiring community leaders to visionary architects."
Clarion is also launching the William Sutton Prize for Learning and Innovation, which is open exclusively to staff. Applications for all prizes open on Tuesday 29th May and will close on Tuesday 31st July, with the winners announced at an awards event later in 2018.